This is a no bake chocolate cake. It is beyond delicious, incredibly easy to make and a winner at every event.
I usually make this as a birthday present for someone that really likes chocolate. Which is almost everybody!
I first ate this at my mother-in-law’s house, she is almost famous for this cake, and she gave the recipe to me. I played around with it a bit, and this is now my favourite version. The original recipe calls for coffee and whiskey, but since I am not a huge fan of either, I took it out. The recipe makes two 20cm bread tins worth of cake. If you want to halve the recipe, just use 2 eggs. (Can’t divide and egg!)
12x 100g slabs of chocolate (yes, I said 12!) – split up 50-50 between milk and dark chocolate
A good glug of your favourite liqueur, I prefer honey liqueur.
3x packets of Marie Biscuits, broken (you can use any biscuit you want really, digestive biscuits also work great)
1x packet of Smarties or Astros to put on top
1. Melt your chocolate, careful not to burn it!
2. Melt you butter separately
3. Beat your 3 eggs until they are foamy
4. Add the butter to the eggs and mix it well.
5. Add the glug of your liqueur while it is still warm. (It is here where the original recipe called for a a tablespoon of good instant coffee, which I don’t put in, but are f course welcome to)
6. Add the melted chocolate to the butter mix and mix it well
7. Stir in your broken biscuits
8. Pour the mixture into your molds, sprinkle your Smarties or Astros on top and freeze overnight!
Brigitte usually puts foil in the forms before she puts them in the fridge. I don’t do it because I hate picking the foil out of the cake. I just cover it with clingfilm or foil before I put it in the freezer, and just quickly dip the form in hot water so the cake slides out. It will be a little bit melted, but just pop it back, upside down, into the freezer for 5 minutes.